You’re not alone if you feel like computers are taking over the world. Now more than ever, the world is at our fingertips and everything is accessible just with a few taps of the phone. Our homes have come a long way and this includes our appliances. Sky HVAC leads the pack when it comes to keeping up with technology. Our technicians are the best-trained professionals in the area and enjoy learning about the newest HVAC sciences.
If you’re still on the fence about our services – check our reviews page to see what our past customers have to say about our work.
Types of Thermostats
It is important to know your options if you are considering upgrading your thermostat. The majority of newer homes typically already have a digital programmable thermostat… but what does that even mean? Here we have a quick guide to common thermostats and a few of their features:
- Digital thermostat (non-programmable) – this is a thermostat that is manual, so it allows the AC to run until it is shut off. The digital part of this unit is specifically speaking of the display–it is similar to reading a calculator output
- Digital thermostat (programmable) – quite similar to the above but can be programmed to regulate the temperature on its own. These units are quite common and allow you to leave home without having to worry about the AC running around the clock
- Wireless thermostat – also known as a WiFi thermostat, this technology allows you to control the temperature from your smartphone from anywhere in the world. It is easy to use and easy to change when your schedule varies
- Smart thermostat – these are the newest thermostats on the market. They also can be controlled remotely from your phone, but their unique feature is the fact that they learn your schedule and adjust the temperature accordingly. Unfortunately, there are a few bugs with these thermostats and changing their ‘learned behaviors’ can be difficult
Choosing the Best Thermostat for Your Home
Once you think you have a certain type of thermostat narrowed down for your home, the next steps will include choosing the brand and having it installed. Before we get that far, let’s talk a bit more about WiFi and smart thermostats. As exciting as it may be to have a thermostat that learns your behavior, you also must think about how often your actual behavior changes. If your schedule is relatively rigid and you leave at a set time, come home at a set time, and sleep during certain hours, these units might be a perfect match for you.
However, most people realize that life happens and being able to easily adjust your thermostat on the way home from a short day at work or after a later than usual night at the office is important. WiFi thermostats give you the ability to do just that. As with anything, new technology will have bugs and issues that will be fixed with time. Until these issues are fixed, it may be better to stick to a WiFi thermostat and wait until the bugs are worked out of these ‘smart’ ones.
Advantages of smart thermostats:
- Save on energy cost
- Automatic filter change alerts
- Programmable temperatures based on your schedule
- Humidity control
- Remote control temperature settings
Knowing Who to Call
Choosing a thermostat might be difficult but choosing an HVAC company isn’t! Sky HVAC wants to be your go-to company for all things heating and cooling! Whether you’re considering a smart thermostat, a WiFi thermostat, or a digital, programmable one, we can provide you with the information you need to make an educated decision.
Keep costs down on your upgrades with our coupons and specials.